The Dutch Pour technique is probably one of my favorite fluid art techniques but also one of the hardest ones to master. Artists like Rinske Douna, Olga Soby, Erica Hughes, Kanella Ciraco, and Molly from Molly's Artistry are some of the artists that have mastered the art of creating beautiful Dutch pours!
So what is the Dutch Pour Technique?
It is a fluid art technique in which you use a blow dryer to move the paint around your canvas to create flower-like patterns with colorful ribbons, beautiful lacing, and cells. Some artists also blow through a straw or move the paint around by blowing with their mouth.
How to do a Dutch Pour for Beginners
If I am not mistaken, she is the original creator of this technique, so it makes perfect sense to learn from her.
By carefully observing all her moves, and taking into account all her tips and recommendations, I have been able to achieve some pretty successful Dutch pours. So here is what I have learned!
Steps to Create a Dutch Pour Painting
- Mix the base paint color and your other colors with water until you get the consistency previously mentioned. Expect to mix your paints with around 30%-50% water.
- Cover your entire canvas with your base color. This helps the other paints to move around.
- Layer your other colors in a puddle right on top of the base color on the canvas.
- Pour more of your base color around the layered puddle of colors.
- Use a hair dryer on the LOW setting to quickly blow the base color over the puddle of colors.
- Then blow back in the opposite direction to reveal the colors hidden underneath the base color.
- Use your mouth or blow through a straw to move the paint in the areas where you are not satisfied with the outcome or where you want to create more details. TIP: Leave a good amount of negative space.
Learn From the Best
If you really want to create gorgeous Dutch Pours, with step-by-step guidance from Rinske Douna, then check this out. Even though it is not exactly a regular Dutch pour course, the Dutch Pour Blooms you will create are AMAZING!
Aren't these blooms gorgeous?
If you've ever wanted to create stunning paintings, this is your chance to learn from the best! Click here to get started now.
Now you have the SECRETS, best tips, and steps you need to start creating your own painting using the Dutch pour technique!
Here are 6 Dutch Pour Painting Ideas with videos to get you started!
And remember, if it doesn't work out quite right the first time...
DON'T GIVE UP!
This is one of the hardest fluid art techniques because it not only requires that you use the right paint consistency but it also requires that you learn how to manipulate the blow dryer correctly.
Practice, Practice, Practice!!!